Minimally invasive surgery techniques offer faster recovery, less pain
At Premier Women’s Care of Southwest Florida, we prioritize the overall comfort and well-being of our patients. So, when you have a gynecologic problem that requires surgery, we always try to ensure you will have the easiest possible recovery.
With our providers’ advanced training and our state-of-the-art technology, we can often use minimally invasive surgical techniques, many of which can even be performed in the comfort of our own office.
Pain management is an important aspect of minimally invasive surgery. Our office-based pain relief protocols allow for a more private, concierge-type experience that ensures greater comfort in familiar surroundings.
Our providers take a multi-pronged approach to minimally invasive gynecologic surgery, following three basic tenets:
- Rather than use open, invasive surgery through large incisions, we try to use to smaller incisions and robotic assistance.
- When possible, we perform outpatient, same-day surgeries or office procedures instead of surgeries that require hospitalization and an overnight stay.
- We use Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) techniques, which allow patients to have a quicker recovery and limit exposure to narcotics.
The most common minimally invasive procedures we offer are office and outpatient treatments for abnormal or heavy vaginal bleeding customized to a patient’s pathology and treatment goals. These are:
- Da Vinci robot-assisted total laparoscopic hysterectomies, which allow for a minimally invasive outpatient hysterectomy with a rapid return to work or other regular activities.
- Da Vinci robot-assisted treatment of endometriosis.
- Office-based hysteroscopic myomectomies, polypectomies, and endometrial ablation.
As medicine and technology advance, we continually offer our patients more minimally invasive surgical options.
Recently, we became the first practice in Fort Myers to offer the Acessa procedure. This is a minimally invasive laparoscopic outpatient procedure for the treatment of fibroids. Acessa allows surgeons to use laparoscopic intra-abdominal ultrasound to map fibroid size and location in three dimensions and use radiofrequency to gently treat fibroids. As with robotic laparoscopic procedures, the Acessa outpatient procedure can treat fibroids while retaining the uterus. Patients have very limited downtime and minimal pain, allowing for a rapid return to normal activity.
Fibroids are a very common problem in patients of reproductive age. At Premier Women’s Care of Southwest Florida, we customize our approach to the treatment of fibroids to match our patients’ goals.
The factors we use to individualize treatment include the size, location and number of fibroids, and the patient’s desire to retain fertility using uterus-sparing procedures.
If you have a gynecologic issue that may require surgery, we would be happy to evaluate your problem and find the approach that is best suited to you. Come in for an individualized evaluation.